Insurance is essential for covering the contents of your home. We do not arrange contents cover for your individual property. You will need to make these arrangements separately. There are also excess payable in respect of every type of claim. Please check the summary for cover (available on request) for further details of this.
Hobdens are fully regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, which enables us to handle insurance matters for our Clients, as follows:-
Arrangement and administration of Buildings Insurance, Engineering Insurance, Directors & Officers Liability Insurance and Public Liability Insurance as necessary. We use the services of a large respected London broker to place these insurances and can obtain competitive premiums
Using the services of a Chartered Surveyor, arranging for the the sum insured of each property is assessed each year to make sure that it is adequate.
Handling claims, liaising with appointed Loss Adjusters and seeing each claim through to a conclusion.
Where buildings insurance is provided, this will cover the building and common parts including parking areas and landscaping against damage caused by:
- Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake
- Water damage from heating installations, washing machines or oil escaping from heating installations
- Damage caused by riots, civil commotions, malicious damage or vandalism
- Theft of fixtures or fittings or items from the common areas where there is forcible/violent entry
- Subsidence, falling trees or branches, TV aerials or radio masts
- Accidental damage to drains or pipes, cables and tanks
- Storm or flood
- Breakage of glass in doors, windows or sanitary ware
- Any other damage caused by a peril insured, including, acts of terrorism, alternative accommodation following damage to the building which makes it uninhabitable
Property Owners Liability Insurance is arranged for any areas managed by Hobdens, which covers third party liability for death, injury or property damage. Where there are lifts or other heavy plant and equipment, Engineering Insurance is also arranged, which includes any statutory safety inspections. Cover may also be arranged for Director’s and Officers’ Liability, where there is a residents management company.
Please note that it is a condition of the Buildings Insurance Policy that you notify the insurers if your property is going to be unoccupied for longer than 30 days. If you fail to do this, there is a possibility that the insurance company may exclude loss or damage to apartments and houses caused by water damage, vandalism, theft and breakage of glass in doors or windows.
We have provided some tips to help reduce the risk of damage to your home or belongings that could result in an insurance claim:
- Make sure you can locate and operate the stop-cocks within your property
- All internal alterations to electrical wiring should be check and approved by a qualified electrician
- Do not store flammable or hazardous items or materials in the building unless stored in a designated secure area and do not leave personal belongings in the common parts or cupboards
- Qualified workmen, in accordance with safe practices, should carry out maintenance work, plumbing and carpentry. Do not accept workmen unless they are qualified and from a reputable firm
- Please inform Hobdens if there are any issues with security or damages and report items or disrepair